Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Whoda Thunk?


Many moons ago (I think it was summer 1977) I was browsing through a bin of cut price, must go, "you'll never see these prices again" cassettes and I came across an album by a band I'd never heard of and had no idea of how they sounded. I glanced at the song titles and thought they implied progressive rock - my favorite genre at the time. Well, the cassette was really cheap and it gave me a chance to expand my musical horizons, so I bought it.

The band and the album were called "Automatic Man" and I it's unlikely you've ever heard of them because from that day I never came across hide-nor-hair of them ... until today.

The album was a mix of many styles, funky, rocky, spacey, progressive and more. It was almost impossible to assign it to a genre, so I just called it progressive rock because that label covers a multitude of sins. Anyway, the musicianship and vocals were high quality and I loved it. But as I said I never heard of them again until today when I was perusing my favorite progressive rock & metal website Progressive World and there before my astonished eyes was a review of the album "Automatic Man" by "Automatic Man".

The reviewer has the same problem as me, "How do you categorize this band?" And he seems to have the same viewpoint on them too, "Awesome music."

If you ever get the chance to hear the album I highly recommend it.

No comments: