Wednesday, April 14, 2004

News Media


I took a vacation and didn't look at the news for two weeks. And you know what? Nobody killed me. I wasn't caught up in any mindless wars. The world didn't disappear when I wasn't looking. I wasn't swallowed up by any rents in the fabric of the space-time continuum.

In fact I did very well, thank you. My life went on and the fact that I wasn't bombarded with pointless controversy, manufactured mayhem and general bad news actually made me feel better.

In looking around me at the people I encountered and the town I was in I saw just ordinary people living their lives and I thought to myself, "the news media are a bunch of ghouls who feed off peoples' fear that they (the media) create by their constant barrage of bad news."

So if you are feeling a bit down, here is some advice. Don't pop another pill, turn off the TV and radio, don't visit your favorite website for news, cancel the newspaper and instead go out for a nice walk, or go to the local Starbucks with some friends. You'll feel all the better for it.

No comments: