Tuesday, April 10, 2007

One Note - The most useful piece of software I've ever seen!

I've just discovered the most useful piece of software I think I've ever come across. It's called OneNote and it is part of Microsoft Office. I had Office 2007 installed last week and a friend told me I had to try OneNote. He told me a few things about it and I thought it sounded interesting but I was skeptical. Today I opened it up and read through the intro that comes with it and that got me excited because I began to see all sorts of possibilities. Then I began to use it and MY GOD!!!! It is brilliant!

It's hard to explain but it's like a notebook that you can write or paste anything into at any position on the page, organize it and later find it again. It has incredible search capabilities like you can search for words in graphic images!!

It also lets you create a shared notebook that multiple people can work on at the same time and you can see the edits from others appear in your copy in real-time! Talk about collaboration software!

It integrates with Outlook so that you can create an Outlook task from OneLook. Here's an example, I was in a meeting today and I noted in OneNote several changes the users wanted in the user interface I was showing them. I then made each of these into a task in Outlook with a click on a toolbar button. Later I was using OneNote to write up my plans for what to do next with the application and there were a couple of things I saw I needed to do, so I made them into Outlook tasks too. Later I was in Outlook and all the tasks were there. Tasks from several places in OneLook notebooks were all in one place in Outlook so I could see what I needed to do. As I finished a task I marked it done in Outlook. Later I was browsing through OneNote and there were the tasks but marked as done in OneNote too.

I could go on for hours about the other capabilities of OneNote but you should give it a try yourself and see what you come up with. The possibilities are infinite.

You can download a free 60 day trial version: OneNote Trial. Go get it and give it a shot - it is awesome.

No comments: